RE: [cellml-discussion] Definitional mathematics in metadata

  • From: "Alan Garny" <alan.garny AT physiol.ox.ac.uk>
  • To: "'For those interested in contributing to the development of CellML.'" <cellml-discussion AT cellml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [cellml-discussion] Definitional mathematics in metadata
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 09:08:43 +0100

Hello everybody,

I won't go into the discussion of definitional mathematics in metadata. I
will, instead, simply say that I heartily agree with Warren when it comes to
making CellML as backward compatible as possible.

I have no idea of what others' experience of CellML has been, but our group
has been using it from day one. This said, I must confess that I am
personally slightly concerned about the work that is currently being done on
CellML. No doubt that it is in the interest of the CellML community, but I
wonder whether we shouldn't try and stop the theory and put a bit more
effort into the practice. In other words: develop tools that are CellML
capable. This is indeed the main complaint I get from people to whom I
mention CellML.

First, they don't always know about CellML (some of them, however, do know
about SBML), but that's not a problem as I can tell them about it and even
compare CellML to SBML, if necessary. In the end, I usually end up
convincing them that CellML is the way forward for what they want to do.
Then, however, comes that big hurdle: CellML softwares!

That's when I have to tell them that they have to be patient, that CellML is
still a work in progress, etc. I also tell them about how many CellML files
are available in the repository (http://www.cellml.org/examples/repository/)
and that usually gets them all excited, but I wonder for how long?!

I am aware of the CellML tools page (http://www.cellml.org/public/tools/),
since our own software is listed there, but still there are not that many of
them at this stage...

At least, our software has so far been a rather successful way of
advertising CellML. One of its strength, I guess, is its ability to export a
CellML file (no pathways though) to various programming languages (C, C++,
Delphi for Win32, Java, MATLAB and Pascal at this stage). Our software's
design is such that we can litterally add a new export format within a
couple of hours. That is what it took us to generate some Java code that can
be directly used by simBio (http://www.card.med.kyoto-u.ac.jp/) or some C++
code that can be directly used in a modelling environment developed by some
students here at Oxford. On top of that, we can obviously edit and compute
(by running some automatically-generated machine code) a CellML file from
within the software.

We do think those are the kind of basic tools/features that are of interest
to potential CellML users (Penny Noble has, for instance, been able to 'fix'
some CellML files using our software). So, until we have a wide range of
such tools/features, CellML will just remain an academic exercise, which
would be really sad.

Cheers, Alan.