[cellml-discussion] Summary of simulation metadata meeting

  • From: s.blackett at auckland.ac.nz (Shane Blackett)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Summary of simulation metadata meeting
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:49:38 +1200

Hi,

RE: Tabulation Data.

I was very surprised about six months ago to hear that we are running
adaptive step size integrators and then requiring them to output results
as if they were integrating at fixed intervals. When I queried this
then I was told that this is the way that it is done (so I let my
concern die). Poul queried the same thing yesterday at this little meeting.

It seems to me that an integrator should not be required to do this
(which is what is implied by including it in the specification). If you
have an efficient integrator (or a very smooth part of your function) it
should be able to make large steps, and you should not force it to
produce hundreds of numbers containing no information. (or even worse
limit it's step size to some grid).
I had previously assumed that any integrator would just tell you the x
and y values to draw on a graph, however this doesn't appear to be what
is happening in the implementation we are currently using.

If for comparison purposes you want to check the results at a particular
time value then I guess something needs to interpolate to that time,
however I think Poul would argue that this is not a parameter of the
simulation but just of presentation of the results, similar to what
colour to make the curve in the graph (which we haven't yet included).

Hope this helps to explain what is going on.

Shane