[cellml-discussion] Comments solicited on new draft: CellML GraphMetadata Specification

  • From: david.nickerson at nus.edu.sg (David Nickerson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Comments solicited on new draft: CellML GraphMetadata Specification
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 15:17:06 +0800

Hi Andrew,

This is looking good and will be a very useful companion to the
simulation specification in terms of model curation.

Just a couple of comments.

I would like to be able to specify a graph that has two different y-axes
- i.e., it is pretty common to draw a graph that has the gating kinetics
(non-dimensional variables ranging from 0->1) or ionic concentrations
and channel currents on the same graph (vs time). The current
specification states that in this case all variables will be drawn on
the same set of axes with a common scale which can be arbitrarily
defined by the application.

It would also be nice to define the axes independently of the variables.
If, for example, you are using this specification to define a certain
plot to draw to match a graph given in a paper (or preferably to be
using this specification to define the graph used in a paper), then the
ability to define a fixed range of x and y is required. The fixed range
may be either a superset or subset of the full range of the given variables.

Also, the use of <cs:simulation rdf:nodeID="..."/> to reference the
simulation which defines the variables for use in a trace seems a bit
wrong to me. Seems something more like the <cg:variable
rdf:resource="..."/> would be more appropriate. Does the <cs:simulation>
element in this instance meet requirements for such an element defined
in the simulation metadata specification - or is such validation not
required? Even if its valid, I just don't like it :-)

Finally, just a quick question: can <cg:type
rdf:resource="http://www.cellml.org/metadata/graphs/1.0#scatter"/> be
replaced with <cg:type rdf:resource="cg:scatter"/> or something, or is
the full URI required?

Andre.