[cellml-discussion] CellML 1.1 schema

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] CellML 1.1 schema
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:34:52 +1200

Mariusz Tasarz wrote:
> Hello,
>

>>> is there any xsd schema for CellML 1.1 on the cellml.org website ?
>>> I couldn't find it. Please, send me a link to the schema if possible.
>>>
>> Hi Mariusz,
>>
>> I wrote one back in March 2005, but it seems to have not made it onto
>> the new website(I'm not sure why). I have now updated it to avoid
>> some problems that more recent Xerces find, and put it up on the
>> website. The information page about it is at:
>> http://www.cellml.org/tools/cellml_1_1_schema/
>>

> Thx for the schema.
>
> I checked that the role element from the reaction doesn't contain a
> mathml:math element.
>
> Is it correct ? The mathml subelement is needed when the role is "rate"
> type.

Hi Mariusz,

Thanks for pointing out the error in the schema. After consulting the
CellML specification (section 7.2)

"There are three uses for equations inside |<role>| elements:

* If the |role| attribute value is |"||rate||"|, any enclosed
equations calculate the kinetic rate law (i.e., calculate the
value of the referenced variable) and the value of intermediate
variables used in the rate law equation.
* If the |role| attribute value is |"||reactant||"| or
|"||product||"|, the equations calculate the relationship between
the general reaction rate and the rate of change of the species
represented by the referenced variable (i.e., calculate the value
of the variable named in the |delta_variable| attribute), and
calculate any intermediate variables used in this relationship.
* In all other cases, the equations relate an intermediate variable
used in the rate calculation to the variable referenced by the
containing |<variable_ref>| element. For instance, it would be
appropriate to calculate an effective concentration of a catalyst
inside the |<role>| element contained by the |<variable_ref>|
element that references the variable representing the actual
concentration of the catalyst."

This means that any role element can have zero or more mathml:math
elements. I have uploaded an amended schema which will now validate this
as well.

Best regards,
Andrew Miller