[cellml-discussion] New Draft: Custom Subset Metadata specification

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] New Draft: Custom Subset Metadata specification
  • Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 09:37:04 +1300

David Nickerson wrote:
> I'm wondering if there needs to be some kind of formal progression of
> metadata standards being adopted by the CellML project. While I concede
> that it was rather arbitrary to add the simulation and graphing
> specifications under the CellML metadata umbrella, I can see how those
> two are going to play very important roles in the future of CellML. I am
> less certain of the value of the Custom Subset specification.
>
> I guess the question is whether we are happy to continue simply adding
> any and all metadata specifications that people come up with under the
> CellML metadata umbrella? or whether we want to implement a system
> whereby draft specifications are first circulated on this mailing list
> and require a certain level of support (or maybe a lack of objections?)
> before the CellML project formally accepts the draft for further
> development under the CellML metadata umbrella?

All three specifications are merely drafts, and they have not been
accepted in any sense. The drafts are put on the cellml.org site simply
because that is the most appropriate place for them to be stored, but
this does not imply that they are in any way endorsed by the CellML team
as a whole.

Any CellML-specific information which could potentially be used by more
than one tool should be stored in a format which is publicly documented,
and so Custom Subset, and any other specifications which people might
propose, should be stored somewhere (although if someone submitted a
draft which conflicted with some other work, e.g. which stored the same
information in an incompatible way, we could put a CellML team note on
the draft, discouraging its use).