[cellml-discussion] Meeting outcome

  • From: david.nickerson at nus.edu.sg (David Nickerson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Meeting outcome
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:03:47 +0800

Just some comments on the current/planned developments:

The biggest item missing, in my view, is documentation for the CellML
API - how to build it on various platforms, how to use it from/with
several common development environments (linux/gcc, win32/gcc, and
windows/.net would be good starting points). Seems a shame to have this
great API and implementation sitting there essentially unused apart from
internal Auckland projects and by people who have interacted with Andrew
to get the information needed to use the implementation. If there were
some nice tutorial type articles available and maybe something like a
outline of the CCGS showing how it works to help people generate their
own code type from CellML then I think we will get a lot more people
using the API rather than writing their own code to handle CellML models.

In terms of editing CellML models, I would like to see more emphasis on
the reuse of components than on inventing some new way to write
down/edit the math. We should either be using existing methods for
editing the math (i.e., matlab or COR style syntax) or editing the
mathml directly. The more important aspect of editing a CellML model,
again, in my view, is the defining of model hierarchies and reuse of
components and handling the connections that come along with this.
Personally I don't see editing the math as a big issue, but correctly
defining all the connections and encapsulation hierarchy for anything
more than a very simple model is a very tedious and error prone task at
present, something that could (easily?) be improved with a nice
interface. And while at present most models in the model repository are
probably not in a form conducive to component reuse, it would be good to
have some sort of repository browsing capability in PCEnv that allows
model developers to easily pull out and reuse models from the
repository. (of course, I'm still not convinced that we need to be
providing a generic CellML model editor but as long as we are talking
about developing standard toolkit components that developers can link
together into their own preferred application then I'm happy.)

And in tandem with the previous comment, another high priority for the
immediate future has to be the integration of CellML 1.1 models into the
model repository. There is no real bar to this at present (unless the
current PMR looks only for models in the 1.0 namespace?), but we need to
consider the work flows involved in a user importing their CellML 1.1
model hierarchy into the repository, especially the handling (and
redirection/relocation?) of the href's within the models.

And then in terms of the tasks currently on the plan for the immediate
future, I would like to see the generation of additional languages
having a higher priority than adding math editing capabilities. And
there needs to be more explanation for number 8 - its not at all clear
what that task is referring to.

my $0.02,

Andre.