[cellml-discussion] CellML 1.1 editing workflows was Re: Content MathML editing language: Feedback oninitial MathML => editing language output sought

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] CellML 1.1 editing workflows was Re: Content MathML editing language: Feedback oninitial MathML => editing language output sought
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 16:12:04 +1300

David Nickerson wrote:
> Just one point brought to light in my example below is the use of the
> components one_ion and two_ion. I import these components to calculate
> reversal potentials as many times as required to calculate all the
> various reversal potentials in the model. It seems wrong to be
> presenting a user with the ability to edit every imported instance of
> these equations rather than just the single original equations as is
> clearly the intent of the model as defined by the model hierarchy.
I haven't yet written the code which allows a user to actually select an
equation to edit, but eventually, they would appear in the model tree in
exactly the same way as the rest of the model (which would, as you
suggest, show the same imported component multiple times, as it is
imported multiple times).

There is currently no clear workflow for modifying imported components
inside a model (when saving is implemented, it will probably only work
with the top-level model).

I would suggest that imported models should be edited as a separate
top-level model if you want the changes to actually take effect.

Perhaps the following use story would work:

Right click on the imported model in the model tree view, and select
"Open Imported Model"
The imported model appears as a top-level model in the model selector,
and selects itself automatically.
The user makes some changes, and then saves the model back out (assume
it was a file:// URL, and it was saved over the original).
The user then right clicks on the importing model, and chooses
"Re-instantiate All Imports", causing it to reload the model.

The user can still make temporary changes directly to the imported model
instances (perhaps we need to warn them that these changes will
inevitably be lost, with an option not to show warnings again).