[cellml-discussion] Proposal: BCP for including external code in CellML models

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Proposal: BCP for including external code in CellML models
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:21:09 +1300

Hi,

I have created a proposal 'best current practice' document for how
external code can be included in CellML models. The proposal is located at:

http://www.cellml.org/Members/miller/bcp-external-models/

for now, although I will probably move it to a non-Members URL if it
gains wider acceptance.

I would welcome any general or specific comments on the proposal, and in
particular, on the following issues:

1) [For people who currently are looking for a way to make CellML and
external code work together] Does the proposed mechanism provide an
sufficient interface between the model and external code to allow your
external code to be used in CellML?
2) [For developers of CellML processing tools with simulation
capabilities] Would the proposed mechanism allow you to support external
code? Does it give too much control over the way the integrator runs to
the model author?
3) Do you agree with the basic premise of the proposal, that is that
it is better to have a model which is partly expressed in CellML, than
to have a model which is entirely expressed in a more general
programming language?
4) Do the best practice guidelines for CellML authors adequately
protect the utility of CellML as a model interchange format?
5) Does the proposed approach fit well with the design of CellML?

Thanks and Best regards,
Andrew Miller