[cellml-discussion] Identifying time-points at which themodelbecomes stiff

  • From: david.nickerson at nus.edu.sg (David Nickerson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Identifying time-points at which themodelbecomes stiff
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:10:43 +0800

> I was actually thinking more along the lines of "when stiff_indicator is
> zero, a transition to stiffness occurs". stiff_indicator would be
> expected to be defined in such a way that it gradually approaches zero,
> rather than suddenly falls to zero, or it is stiff too and so not much
> help. The key point here is that we are trying to define exact points
> (which could even be a singularity), rather than ranges over which the
> integrator has to be more careful.

I guess that makes sense. I was thinking that in terms of the electrical
stimulus problem you essentially just need to ensure that an adaptive
integrator "sees" an externally applied stimulus. As long as the
stimulus gets applied then the dynamic response to that stimulus will
make an adaptive integrator behave as expected. Then an application can
just integrate along through time until it knows a stimulus is about to
hit, in which case it ensures that the stimulus gets applied - either
through restricting the time stepping in some manner or forcing explicit
time points to be evaluated (you only need the first time point when a
stimulus is applied).

> I think it is potentially useful information about the mathematics, so
> it could be in its own mini-specification, and referenced by the
> simulation metadata.

yep - I'd agree with that. Any volunteers ? :-)

>> Might also be worth noting that there will probably be overlap with the
>> TEDDY project when representing this kind of information, but not really
>> too sure yet where TEDDY is going.
>>
> Although from the initial discussions, it looks like it might be a
> little too general to be able to work with for this type of application.

yep - but worth staying in touch with, it would be good to use a common
vocabulary as much as possible.