[cellml-discussion] Expanding the CellML abbreviation

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Expanding the CellML abbreviation
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 10:44:34 +1200

Hi,

I have noticed that a lot of people who refer to CellML (generally
people who don't use CellML, but reference it) feel obliged to expand
the abbreviation, and they generally expand it as "Cell Markup Language".

As far as I am aware, we have never actually said that CellML stands for
Cell Markup Language, and indeed, that expansion doesn't really make
sense, because CellML does not aim to mark up cells at all, and it is in
some sense independent of biology at a technical level. However, unless
we can agree as a community that CellML doesn't stand for "Cell Markup
Language", there is a risk that people will keep calling it that, which
could result in a misunderstanding of what CellML is.

I suggest that we put the following note up as an errata to the CellML
specifications (please indicate whether you agree with the intention of
this, and whether you agree with the specific wording):

"CellML is not intended to be an abbreviation, but rather, it is simply
a name used to identify the language. The fact that CellML starts with
the word 'Cell' is a result of its original intended use. However,
CellML is actually a generic mathematical modelling language which can
be applied in a range of disciplines. It is worth noting that CellML
does not stand for 'Cell Markup Language'. Instead, when introducing
CellML to an audience who may be unfamiliar with it, a short explanation
of CellML is recommended. For example, 'CellML (a mathematical model
markup language most commonly used to describe biological systems using
ordinary differential equations)' ".