[cellml-discussion] Expanding the CellML abbreviation

  • From: david.nickerson at nus.edu.sg (David Nickerson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Expanding the CellML abbreviation
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 09:33:02 +0800

Andrew Miller wrote:
> David Nickerson wrote:
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> Sounds like a good idea, although I would like to see the 'using
>> ordinary differential equations' bit dropped.
>>
> It was intended just to be an example, and I realise that CellML can be
> used for much more than just systems of ODEs. However, I think that the
> 'most commonly used to...' part is quite important, because although you
> could describe an economics problem using PDEs in CellML, this deviates
> both from the common usage and what any existing CellML tools (except
> perhaps JSim?) can deal with.
>
> Should the most common usage of CellML expand in the future, I see no
> reason why we couldn't expand it then. The problem I see with not
> including the information on how CellML is most commonly used in the
> example at this stage is that authors may try to qualify CellML in an
> incorrect way (which might imply that CellML can only be used for
> systems of ODEs, or can only be used for biological models), instead of
> using our exanple.

I think the "most commonly used to describe biological systems" is ok,
but if you check I think you'll find algebraic equations are by far the
most common. To me, at least, by adding "using ODEs" to the end is
already qualifying the statement to give the impression that it is
primarily for ODE models only.

>> It would also be good to try and work this definition into the front
>> page at cellml.org - that is the most common place I look when I need a
>> brief blurb on CellML. Might possibly fit in with a new section on the
>> website on "How to cite CellML" ??
>>
> Referencing and citing CellML often occur together, so I think that this
> makes sense (although maybe "How to reference and/or cite CellML" would
> be a more accurate title?

yep, sounds good.

>> I certainly agree with your intent - more generally I feel is a need to
>> change people's interpretation of the abbreviation 'ML' from meaning
>> 'Markup Language' to meaning 'Modelling Language' - certainly "Cell
>> Modelling Language" is more accurate than "Cell Markup Language".
>
> The modelling part is more accurate, although the 'cell' part is still
> there, which I why I think it should simply be a name and not an
> abbreviation.

I agree - we want CellML as a name rather than an abbreviation.

> I think we want to make it clear it is a language primarily intended for
> the interchange of models between groups and / or tools, as opposed to
> say, MATLAB. Perhaps the word language is enough to imply this, but I'm
> not sure that this distinguishes something like MATLAB code, which is
> primarily used as an interface between a human and a computer, and a
> language specifically designed for interoperability and exchange (which
> the words markup language generally imply).

could also consider explicitly having "a mathematical model exchange
language"? otherwise markup language makes more sense to me than
modelling language, and gives the meaning that I think Andrew is trying
to get across. At the end of the day, CellML is a specification of an
XML based markup language.