[cellml-discussion] automated connection creation

  • From: j.lawson at auckland.ac.nz (James Lawson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] automated connection creation
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 09:13:38 +1200

Hi all,

I was sitting in bed last night, and this idea came to me:

It would be really easy to create some kind of script / automation
process that automatically connects up variables of the same name if
they have matching interfaces.

Say you have a component A with variables a and b. a is defined in A and
has pub interface out, while b is imported from B, where it is defined.
So you also have component B with variables a and b, a having pub
interface in and b having pub interface out.

Surely it would be very simple to just have some button to click in
PCEnv or COR that links up these variables? I'm not saying this is done
by default - you'd have to select the option once you'd defined all your
variable interfaces. It wouldn't be able to handle connecting variables
with different names, but it would at least be a start. There would also
be problems with variables with the same name that aren't supposed to be
all connected together, but this, IMO, is just bad CellML practice.
Imports might be an issue too. I find creating connections the most
tedious aspect of coding up a CellML model, and I think the benefits
would vastly outweigh the problems, and of course, people wouldn't have
to use it...

I also thought, surely someone has already thought of this and thrown
the idea out. But if this could be implemented it would be extremely
useful.

James