[cellml-discussion] Model versions

  • From: david.nickerson at nus.edu.sg (David Nickerson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Model versions
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:18:18 +0800

Hi Matt,

This makes quite a bit of sense to me.

> So, more concretely, I am proposing that:
> - we start the notion of a versioned workspace or package.

yep. It would also be good to decide on either workspace or package :-)

> - the package is named and has an abstract version

and the name is part of the package URI or the URI is the name? Do you
see things like the simulation and graphing metadata to start
interacting with packages/workspaces in addition to straight CellML
models or that the concept of a package supersedes the use of models in
this context? (I'm thinking the latter would make more sense than
starting to tie variable references to particular document versions)

> - for the minimal case of a CellML 1.0 model and metadata in a single
> document, the package name can be the model name, but the abstract
> version is still separate from the document version

Why the restriction on only CellML 1.0 models? Currently a model name is
not used for anything so I'm not sure why a 1.1 model name can't also be
used as a package name?

> - that we add a package name and version number metadata construct to
> all the models.

while this makes sense in a 1.0 world, in a more general case any given
model could be in more than one package/workspace. I'm guessing that the
metadata construct you are thinking about could then easily be outside a
particular model document (or within one) and refer to all it's
constituent models via their URI? Where the URI or some other identifier
would consist of the document version information.

> - that for most purposes in our discussions we will be talking about
> this abstract version and what it would mean to increase its major or
> minor numbers, alpha, beta, or release status etc.

agreed.

Andre.