[cellml-discussion] Removing PCEnv snapshots from ftp.bioeng.auckland.ac.nz

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Removing PCEnv snapshots from ftp.bioeng.auckland.ac.nz
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:51:47 +1200

Hi,

Due to space limitations on the bioengineering FTP server, I have
recently migrated all snapshots into Subversion so we can take advantage
of the binary diff functionalities to store them more efficiently. The
plan is that all new snapshots will only go into Subversion. I updated
the PCEnv developers wiki accordingly.

This raises the question of what to do with the existing snapshots - we
could remove them altogether from the ftp server, but my concern is that
this would break any links to such resources which might be out there in
places we cannot change very easily. However, even with a text file in
every directory explaining that they are out of date, it will still be
confusing to keep them there.

I propose the following (please raise objections before the dates
specified in here):
1) At some point next week, the 'read' permission is removed from every
snapshot directory. The idea of this is that no one will know what
snapshots actually exist, and so hopefully will not create any links to
snapshots which don't already have links to them from somewhere outside
of our control.
2) Starting from when the read permission is removed, we start keeping
track of all references to snapshots for a month. Any snapshot not
referred to in that month is deleted at the end of the month.

I don't think too many people refer to the snapshots in anything other
than their bookmarks (see
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=/pub/physiome/&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&start=0&sa=N&filter=0
) and I have fixed most of our internal references, so perhaps this
notification should be enough.

Users wanting to update their bookmarks can use the following links:
Linux builds:
https://svn.physiomeproject.org/svn/physiome/snapshots/pcenv/trunk/x86_linux/index.html
Win32:
https://svn.physiomeproject.org/svn/physiome/snapshots/pcenv/trunk/x86_Win32/index.html
OSX: Win32:
https://svn.physiomeproject.org/svn/physiome/snapshots/pcenv/trunk/x86_OSX/index.html

  • [cellml-discussion] Removing PCEnv snapshots from ftp.bioeng.auckland.ac.nz, Andrew Miller, 09/10/2007