[cellml-discussion] Proposal: Standardised CellML real number format

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Proposal: Standardised CellML real number format
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:56:20 +1200

David Nickerson wrote:
>> Therefore, I think that we need to restrict it down to something like
>> (in regular expression syntax):
>>
>> (\-|)[0-9]+(\.[0-9]+|)(E(-|)[0-9]+|e(-|)[0-9]+|)
>>
>> In other words:
>> An optional - , followed by 1 or more digits from 0 to 9, followed by
>> an optional decimal point (not a comma or momayyez) followed by an
>> optional E or e character with a possible sign and one or more digits
>> after it.
>>

> probably best to allow for an optional '+' or '-' both at the start and
> following the exponent character.
>
> I have no experience, but does using a non-EN locale make it difficult
> to enter numbers with a decimal point?

Based on
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Keyboard_layout&oldid=158242943
it looks like we are okay for the European, South American, and Asian
keyboard layouts. I am not sure about the Arabic and Armenian layouts.

However, I think that programs can present the numbers to the user in
whatever format they like, as long as the specification describes that
they are stored in a consistent way. Users who can't enter the full stop
/ period character who want to edit a CellML file in a text editor will
have other problems anyway, e.g. they couldn't type in the CellML
namespace or the XML version (or any cn elements in the MathML).