[cellml-discussion] In and Out

  • From: m.cooling at auckland.ac.nz (Mike Cooling)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] In and Out
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:59:54 +1300

Something that occurred to me just now:

Aside from the fact that I think In/out is meaningless from a modelling
point of view and is really an interpretation-of-the-cellml detail, it is
also currently a redundant feature.

Currently we can use the in/out connections to check against which variables
are defined with an initial value or not. That is, you should be able to
trace the value from an initial value through out connections into in
connections.

The fact that you can do this suggests they are both describing the same
directional network.

You take the in/out declarations away and you still have the directional
network (directional once variables are initialised), it is just more
implicit.

But now, you can change those directions by declaring a different set of
variables with initial values. Which you might want to do.