[cellml-discussion] in case you haven't seen it | "Why Are Computational Neuroscience and Systems Biology So Separate?"

  • From: p.hunter at auckland.ac.nz (Peter Hunter)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] in case you haven't seen it | "Why Are Computational Neuroscience and Systems Biology So Separate?"
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 15:00:50 +1200

Hi James,

Re your final question - the Physiome Project at the moment is largely about
(i) the development of
the markup languages CellML and FieldML (& maybe ModelML for the physics) and
their associated model
repositories and software tools, and (ii) strategies for bridging spatial and
temporal scales. I see
no reason at all not to include neuroscience in this picture - in fact there
are a number of
initiatives relating to a 'brain physiome' just getting underway. The essence
of the Physiome is the
recognition of the need to link models of structure and function across
spatial scales from nm to m
and temporal scales from brownian motion to human lifetime turnover of
proteins. Easy to say ...

While CellML and SBML are in some way competing standards, both communities
are helping one another
greatly by promoting the idea of modelling standards .. and provided we can
convert between them,
there's no particular disadvantage in having two standards.

Cheers,
Peter