[cellml-discussion] Using CellML for simplified neuron models? (Alan Garny)

  • From: p.hunter at auckland.ac.nz (Peter Hunter)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Using CellML for simplified neuron models? (Alan Garny)
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 17:51:14 +1200

Thanks Poul.
--------------------------
Sent using BlackBerry

----- Original Message -----
From: cellml-discussion-bounces at cellml.org <cellml-discussion-bounces at
cellml.org>
To: CellML Discussion List <cellml-discussion at cellml.org>
Sent: Fri Jun 05 09:22:23 2009
Subject: Re: [cellml-discussion] Using CellML for simplified neuron models?
(Alan Garny)

Dear Hans

Thank you for raising this. It s, in fact, one of the issues discussed
at the recent combined CellML SBGN-SBO BioPAX MIASE Workshop held this
April on Waiheke Island. There is a clear need to be able to specify
discontinuous processes and events, such as you have described.
However, both CellML and SBML use a declarative specification of
models, described with content MathML. Event handling fits more
naturally with imperative descriptions of models so there is currently
no clean way of describing events using content MathML. SBML, which
also uses content MathML as its underlying mathematical description
language, has addressed this problem by augmenting the language with
events and reset rules. After some discussion at the recent workshop,
the consensus was that the next iteration of CellML (1.2) would
include facilities for specifying events and applying reset rules in a
way that is consistent with SBML. There are several reasons for taking
this approach: it is a method that fits reasonably naturally with
modellers' notion of describing such models; the solution has been
tested by the SBML community; the construct will be straightforward to
handle when translating between SBML and CellML. We are currently
working on the CellML 1.2 specification and plan to have a draft
released shortly with the addition of events and reset rules to handle
problems such as you have described.

Best wishes
Poul