[cellml-discussion] ABI CellML meeting minutes 2009-11-25

  • From: alan.garny at dpag.ox.ac.uk (Alan Garny)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] ABI CellML meeting minutes 2009-11-25
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:46:16 -0000

Hi,

A comment about item #1 of this week's agenda (terms of use for CellML
models and associated content hosted on models.cellml.org).

I don't know enough about licensing to suggest one over another. The only
thing I do know, however, is that it is important to ensure that the license
that is to be chosen doesn't come under the law of a particular country,
state, etc. and/or doesn't conflict with the law under which someone's
University comes.

The reason I am saying this is that for COR, I was at the time told by OSS
Watch (an Open Source organisation here in the UK; www.oss-watch.ac.uk) that
the best license for COR would be MPL 1.1. However, that license is governed
by Californian law and because of that the University didn't agree to COR
being released under MPL 1.1 (since the University comes under English law).
The University offered me another license, but it was so restrictive (for
the end user mainly and me a bit) that, in the end, I had no choice but to
decline the offer. Eventually, all parties involved (University, OSS and
myself) agreed that the best course of action was for me to release the
executable and give the source code only to those who would request it from
me. In other words, the University is not responsible for anything, and this
is the reason COR is not and never will be open source (not that it matters
now!).

Alan