[cellml-discussion] UnitsML

  • From: jonathan.cooper at cs.ox.ac.uk (Jonathan Cooper)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] UnitsML
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 10:41:54 +0100

Hi Bernard,

I have thought about this a little. The biggest problem with using an
ontology is that there doesn't seem to be any possibility of a mechanism for
allowing user-defined units. The units ontology at present also doesn't
appear to contain enough information to perform units conversions.

It would certainly be beneficial to have a single units language across all
COMBINE standards. Given that the SBML world has considered CellML's units to
be too complicated, I'm not sure what they'd think of UnitsML! But producing
our own version of such a standard does seem rather foolish. I wonder if
there's scope for a 'lite' version of UnitsML that could be incorporated?

From the very brief look I had, UnitsML does seem pretty comprehensive. I
wasn't too enamoured of their approach to defining conversions though - you
ought in most cases to be able to deduce appropriate conversions from the
units definition, so it may be that they're lacking detail there.

Best wishes,
Jonathan