[cellml-discussion] Improved CellML support in latest version of JSim

  • From: lpsmith at spod-central.org (Lucian Smith)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Improved CellML support in latest version of JSim
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:37:41 +0000

Thanks for the notice, Andre! I want to note that if anyone finds some
aspect of their favorite model doesn't survive the new translation, be
sure to email me, and I'll see what I can do.

I downloaded 1055 models from the repository as my test bed for this
project, and got 884 of them working up to the point of making them
simulatable. The one thing we don't do yet that prevented most of the
remaining models from working in JSim is the feature that imports a
component from another file. That feature is on the list of things we'd
like to do at some point, but if it would be particularly helpful for your
work, let us know and we'll bump it up the priority list. I found 141
models of this sort, leaving only 30 that failed for some other reason;
mostly due to using some MathML construct JSim doesn't support (like
'partialdiff').

For CelML model developers and curators, I wrote a new section on using
JSim to help curate the model:

http://physiome.org/jsim/docs/MML_CellML.html#curation

It explains how to take the JSim-translated version of your model and find
potential sources of error in the model itself. In particular, JSim
should now be a good tool for figuring out if the model is over- or
under-determined, and for getting the units correct.

More details can be found on that same page:

http://physiome.org/jsim/docs/MML_CellML.html

>From my work for this, I now also have translated versions of all 1055
models, so I can tell you which are the 159 models we found unit errors
in, which models were overdetermined, etc. If some curator is interested
in the list (and/or how they could make this list themselves), let me
know.

-Lucian