[cellml-dev] r2112 - in pce/trunk/chrome/content: . controls ui util

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] r2112 - in pce/trunk/chrome/content: . controls ui util
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:41:33 +1300

Randall Britten wrote:
> Hi Andrew
>
> I managed to decode the other variable abbreviations, but what is "mnl" in
> "listFlaggedEquations"?

It stands for "MathML Node List" - but I'm not entirely sure that the
name is very important to understand the code - just about anything that
is not too long to remember or too short to get confused with other
variable names would do, I hope (I certainly wouldn't recommend renaming
it to mathmlNodeList in this particular case, because it is probably a
bit like calling a loop index signedInteger or something), and calling
it something shorter like 'l' might also not help readability.
> Also, perhaps the specifications of the variety of languages that can be
> generated should be distributed with the CellML-API, under an associated
> "utilities" directory?

I think we do need to be careful about what is data, and what is code.
CCGS does, as it stands, have a reasonable abstraction in that we have
separated out a lot of the data involved in code generation (at least
the parts that differ between languages) from the code that does the
generation. It might still make sense to provide a less generic
interface that makes it easier to generate particular languages,
although maybe language specifications might better be distributed as
'recipes' for use of the API for specific purposes - it does mean that
every user duplicates the MAL data and the like, but this might be
justified because the exact form depends not only on the language
itself, but on the simulation environment for which generated code is to
run.