[cellml-dev] Documentation on the CellML API and related services

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] Documentation on the CellML API and related services
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:19:05 +1200

Jonathan Cooper wrote:
> Hi Andrew & Catherine,
>
> This week I have been looking at the CellML API again, both as part of
> the VPH NoE technology assessment exercise, and to determine how easy it
> would be to re-implement my DPhil optimisation algorithms on top of it.
>
> There seems to be a distinct lack of documentation available, and I was
> wondering if you could give me pointers to any information that might be
> buried somewhere on the cellml.org website (perhaps in Andrew's members

Hi Jonathan,

Our documentation is mainly of what the API (as opposed to the
implementation) does. The authoritative source on this are the IDL
files, which have Doxygen style comments in them.

See:
https://svn.physiomeproject.org/svn/physiome/CellML_DOM_API/trunk/interfaces/CellML_APISPEC.idl
and the other IDL files in that directory.

> area)? I'm particularly interested in 'high-level' documentation
> describing how the various services of the API work together, and what
> algorithms they use. Some guidelines on working with the API for those
> not familiar with CORBA could also be handy (I'm assuming that CORBA is
> the reason why you need RETURN_INTO_OBJREF and the like, anyway).

CORBA is not a mandatory part of our API implementation, it is merely
one option for accessing the implementation of the API. The API is
actually implemented in a mapping from the IDL called PCM (Physiome
CellML Mapping), which still needs to be documented properly.

RETURN_INTO_OBJREF and the like are implementation details which callers
of the API do not need to worry about. They are the internal way of
handling reference counting. See
https://svn.physiomeproject.org/svn/physiome/CellML_DOM_API/trunk/interfaces/xpcom.idl
for the toplevel interface which all interfaces in the API extend
from... this has operations like add_ref and release_ref on it.

In terms of how the CCGS (CellML Code Generation Service) is implemented
in terms of other services, see:
http://www.cellml.org/pipermail/cellml-discussion/2007-May/000592.html
Note that the e-mail is out of date in the sense that CCGS now uses the
services discussed in that mail.

> Many thanks,
> Jonathan

  • [cellml-dev] Documentation on the CellML API and related services, Andrew Miller, 08/23/2008