[cellml-dev] buildbot update: from now on, please pay attention to buildbot status changes

  • From: alan.garny at dpag.ox.ac.uk (Alan Garny)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] buildbot update: from now on, please pay attention to buildbot status changes
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:36:48 +0100

Hi Andrew,

First thanks a lot for this. I have made a few comments below.

> The CellML buildbot is now succeeding on all builds except the Win32
> Java build (meaning that the nightly overall build also shows up as red).
>
> Our build system automatically keeps track of any changes pushed to the
> CellML API or OpenCell, and does an incremental build of the trunk after
> a period of two minutes with no further changes has passed. Because we
> mirror the repository locally, it can take a few minutes for changes to
> propagate through and the no-change countdown to elapse.

1) Shouldn't we, for political reasons, separate the CellML API and OpenCell
build systems? As it stands, it gives the impression that OpenCell and the
CellML API projects are tightly coupled and, most importantly, that OpenCell
is *the* CellML tool by excellence. Whether any of these is true or not is
irrelevant here, but it nonetheless remains that we shouldn't give that kind
of impression.

2) I am a bit unclear about when incremental builds are done. Are you saying
that they are done 2 minutes after a push has been detected and assuming
that no additional push has been made in those 2 minutes?

3) Why do an incremental build and not a complete build? I remember
(personal) cases where an incremental build would succeed, but then the
generated code would fail/crash, while a complete build would be fine. I
agree that a complete build takes longer, but it would be safer. If
anything, maybe it's something that could be done in addition to incremental
builds and at less frequent intervals?

> The buildbot will send an e-mail if a previously working platform stops
> working. Please pay attention to these e-mails and fix any problems you
> introduce promptly (or backout your changes and recommit them when you
> get it working). This will ensure that we don't get complex regressions
> in platform support involving multiple different changes.

4) Do such emails mention who is responsible for the failure (i.e. the
person who did the last push)? I think that would save people a bit of time
(e.g. if I am not responsible then I could 'ignore' the email... :)).

> Please monitor the status of the builds at:
> http://autotest.bioeng.auckland.ac.nz/cellml-build/waterfall
> If you have access to the old Subversion repository, the same access
> credentials may be used to manually trigger builds. Log in at:
> https://autotest.bioeng.auckland.ac.nz/cellml-admin/waterfall
> to access that functionality.

5) I wish the builds were on the 'Y axis' and the timings on the 'X axis'. I
believe this would allow to see all the different builds at once (at least
for those of us who have a big enough screen resolution) and one would just
have to scroll horizontally to see their results through time. At the
moment, one has to scroll both horizontally and vertically.

Alan