[cellml-discussion] Re: CellML saga...

  • From: matt.halstead at auckland.ac.nz (Matt Halstead)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Re: CellML saga...
  • Date: Sun Jun 26 13:39:34 2005

The argument for versioning is simply the same kind of argument for
code versioning. If the goal is to represent the paper, then successive
versions should just converge on that. Using the 'HEAD' versions should
technically give you the most accurate model.

The questions of 'variants' is probably the more critical one. A very
simple example is taking a model that correctly represents a paper and
works and generalizing it so that we have a general model and an
instance model that imports it. One could say the instance model now
represents the same overall model as the original non generalized
model, but I would call this a variant and have metadata that provides
a semantically and formally defined concept about this variant as well
as reciprocal relations to what it is a variant of. Further instance
models that imported the generalized model may simply form a set of
experimental instances. This is only one case.

The proposal is that model relations are explicitly represented in the
metadata, which will allow for human readable(through the model
repository interface) and machine interpretable relations between
model.

The variables we have then to uniquely identify a model are 'name',
'verssion', and 'variant'. The version is the axis of least
variability.

For the Zhang et al. rabbit sino-atrial cell models, I would say the
multicellular version is a variant. The model that corrects errors in
the published model could be a version or a variant, I think that is
the point to debate. For instance the model that clearly represents the
publication, including its errors, then there is a case to say this
remains as it is and that any successive versions simply correct errors
in representing that publication. I would tend to put the second model
that fixes errors as a variant, because it does not represent the
publication anymore. However, some may argue that it better represents
the intention of the publication, especially if it now produces results
that match what were present in the publication. Whatever the answer,
it is important to formally represent the relations between variants
and perhaps version, which is what we are proposing.

cheers
Matt