[cellml-discussion] Re: CellML saga...

  • From: melanie_renee_nelson at yahoo.com (Melanie Nelson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Re: CellML saga...
  • Date: Mon Jun 27 16:50:30 2005

Some of you may be surprised to find out that I still
get CellML discussion e-mails... (:

I have something to add to the discussion on
versioning. I feel a bit like I just walked into the
middle of a conversation, so please forgive me if I am
repeating something previously said or if this comment
seems completely off topic.

--- Matt Halstead
<matt.halstead AT auckland.ac.nz>
wrote:

> The argument for versioning is simply the same kind
> of argument for
> code versioning. If the goal is to represent the
> paper, then successive
> versions should just converge on that. Using the
> 'HEAD' versions should
> technically give you the most accurate model.

One thing to keep in mind when designing your
versioning system is the possiblity that models (or
more accurately, the results from running models) may
eventually become part of a submission to the FDA or
other regulatory agency. This still seems to be a long
way off to me, but it does seem to be something that
people in the field would like to see happen.

If this is a goal, then you need to be very sure that
you can always get back to the EXACT version of a
model run at the time a submission is prepared.

I didn't read anything in this message that sounded
like anyone was arguing for a less robust versioning
system, but I did see a couple of comments about why
anyone would want to go back to an earlier (a
presumambly less accurate) model. One reason would be
to support a regulatory submission.

Of course, if you were really going to submit modeling
results to the FDA, the data and the implementation of
the model would both have to be stored in a
non-editable format for submission. However, it would
certainly help any reviewer or auditor to have a
unique version number for reference.

--Melanie

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com