[cellml-discussion] Precise semantics of generateFlattenedModel()

  • From: jonathan.cooper at comlab.ox.ac.uk (Jonathan Cooper)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Precise semantics of generateFlattenedModel()
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 02:40:13 +0000

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 11:40:06AM +1300, David Nickerson wrote:
> Is there a case for maybe a really simple generateFlattenedModel() in
> the core API which returns a single XML document containing only
> elements in the CellML 1.0 namespace and simply ignores all other
> namespaces (external and metadata). Given one of the main uses I can see
> for such a method is to take a CellML 1.1 model and export it so a
> CellML 1.0 capable application can use the model, this would seem to be
> a useful method.

As one use case - my tools to generate optimised code from a CellML model
are currently 1.0 only, which isn't likely to change in the near future.
So a flattening method such as the above would be useful. In this
instance though, preserving metadata apart from metadata about the model
as a whole would be pointless, at least at present, since the model
structure is modified fairly drastically without regard to metadata.

Jonathan.

--
Jonathan Cooper MSN: msn at jonc.me.uk www: jonc.me.uk/

Smith & Wesson - The first point-and-click interface?