[cellml-discussion] A single round trip to Alan

  • From: matt.halstead at auckland.ac.nz (Matt Halstead)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] A single round trip to Alan
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:23:01 +1200

I think maybe, in a ironic way, the .cml extension is paralleling
what we are trying to argue for mime-types. I don't see much
difference in the information they are trying to convey. I'm not sure
there would be much argument to change a file extension each time
CellML evolved.

I think it is simply ok that software that has no active support
simply breaks when trying to load a newer version of CellML. Those
developers with enough foresight would probably at least check the
namespace and realise something is not right and evoke a friendly error.

Otherwise, people can simply update their software to read all the
useful pieces in the beginning of the model.

It kind of comes in a circle in that a file extension would provide
benefits on a filesystem akin to a mime-type, but the argument
against the exact parallel is that there are still too many of us
that find relief in any application that can read in XML and display
it for us to turn off OS support for generic xml-application bindings
by changing the extension to .cml.

  • [cellml-discussion] A single round trip to Alan, Matt Halstead, 04/12/2006