[cellml-discussion] Model Variant

  • From: david.nickerson at nus.edu.sg (David Nickerson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Model Variant
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:23:45 +0800

Forgive me if I'm getting this wrong, but looking at today's meeting
minutes the topic which initiated this thread is a bit off target. All
the CellML models which read into JSim are simply curated versions
(mostly by Penny Noble) of published models. They should definitely not
be variants, given the way I (and others) have been using versions to
date. These versions of the models are all still intended to be accurate
representations of the original model we are just working our way toward
a version that will produce the simulation results as published in the
original papers. There is also the argument that in some cases Penny may
not have started from the version01 version of the model encoding from
the repository, so her curated version of the model shouldn't be assumed
to be a variant of an existing version of a CellML model.

If we are going to to say that improving the curation of an existing
version of a CellML encoded model results in a new variant of the model
rather than a new version, then we need to go back through the
repository and turn most of the version increments into variant increments.

Having said all that, as long as all the models are annotated
sufficiently and the model repository provides access to that annotation
then it shouldn't really make any difference whether its a version or a
variant increment - apart from a slightly longer URI if you append a
variant number to the model identifier. Although if it is the variant
being incremented then the version number shouldn't be incremented.

Andre.