[cellml-discussion] [team-cellml] Linux functional testbuildofPCEnv available

  • From: david.nickerson at nus.edu.sg (David Nickerson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] [team-cellml] Linux functional testbuildofPCEnv available
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 11:07:38 +0800

I agree that we need to only ever have a single URL for a given model
and you have pretty much convinced me that we don't want to start
including query type URL's in a import's href. However, I think that it
is always going to be too hard to define "nice" URL's based on any
ontology that I can think of.

Depending on how model authors write their components, submodels, etc.
you can easily end up with reusable components that could belong to any
of two or more categories of the ontology and thus someone would have to
decide where such a model belongs (pretty random) - or end up with the
model in more than one location (a bad thing).

I think the current model naming convention will work for 1.1 models,
you just won't end up with useful URL's and will generally require a
more intelligent query based interface to a model repository to find the
particular component that you want to use. The advantage of the current
model naming convention is that you can use standard file system tools
to locate all the models related to a particular publication and all the
parts that go with a particular version and/or variant of that model.

So I think that while the ontology based view of the model repository
you describe would be a useful view of the model repository, it would be
more a generated view rather than the static URL's that get used in
model imports. Then model authoring tools would provide such views of
the model repository to allow authors to select the desired components
for import into the current model, but the actual import would always
use the static URL as the href attribute value in the import element.

Does that make sense?

Andre.