[cellml-discussion] CellML API 1.0rc1 (release candidate for CellMLAPI 1.0) out

  • From: david.nickerson at nus.edu.sg (David Nickerson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] CellML API 1.0rc1 (release candidate for CellMLAPI 1.0) out
  • Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 10:59:49 +0800

Initial thoughts on 0.1rc1:

Much improved integration performance, but have no time to fully test it ;-)

It is painfully and prohibitively slow to load a model or to swap
between models. Similarly for cloning a model. This seems true for both
simple models with very few variables (i.e. 1952 Hodgkin & Huxley) and
more complex models with many variables.

If I have a graph V vs time linked to the selected model, I would expect
the graph to remain valid when I clone the model and run a simulation.
Currently the V variable becomes undefined and I have to reselect the
(same) V variable from the list. The time variable remains valid. Once
simulations have been run I seem to be able to swap between models and
have the graph remain valid.

I really dislike the idea of using points/graph to discretise my graphs.
I want to be able to say give me a point every 1 ms or every 10 ms.

I am not convinced that I need to clone my model just to change the
integration parameters and re-integrate. This is especially painful
given how slow it is to clone and then select the cloned model. This
seems like a feature forced upon the user to support the idea of another
client accessing the same model through the cellml_corba_server. Perhaps
if it wasn't so slow to change models in the GUI then this wouldn't be
an issue.

Standard user interface behaviour suggests that when I right click on
something but choose nothing from the menu that pops up then either
nothing is done or the menu remains visible when I release the mouse
button. This is true for most right-clicks I have tried, but right
clicking on a model in the model tree will always result in the model
rename dialog box unless I specifically choose some option or navigate
the mouse away from the menu. If I hold the button down, it is clear
that the rename option is not selected, yet as soon as I release the
mouse button up pops the dialog box.

David.