[cellml-discussion] Switching between graphs in PCEnv: Opinions sought

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Switching between graphs in PCEnv: Opinions sought
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:43:43 +1300

Peter Hunter wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> My preference is for Tabs but you could still keep the title bar ?
> just use a shorter one (say half the width of the pane) and put the
> tabs after that.
> It is important to be able to preserve the layout of windows and which
> traces are displayed so that you can get back quickly to a
> configuration you've set up. It also would allow us to create good
> default setups to suit particular models in the repository.
Hi Peter,

I have asked the question as for what approach to use at the CellML
meeting on Monday, and after some discussion, there was unanimous
agreement that the drop-down combo-box approach would be the best (this
decision included Poul, Jonna, and David Cumin). There were several main
reasons given at the meeting for the combo-box approach:
1) With tabs, the screen will become too cluttered, and you won't be
able to tell which graph is which. However, with combo-box approach,
each graph will have its own line.
2) The combo-box approach allows there to be one list of graphs shared
for all graph panels. This means that a graph is not tied to a
particular panel, and for example, you can set up a two voltage vs time
graphs, and show them side-by-side, and then you can show the
sequentially while keeping a current vs time graph at the bottom. If we
tried to do this with tabs, creating a tab in one panel would have to
cause the creation of the tab in all panels, which is unintuitive, and
would further compound the cluttering problem.
Are you happy to go with this decision?

Regarding the setups for a model, there is a minor UI inconsistency
here, because PCEnv adopts a many to many relationship between models
and graph panels (otherwise you wouldn't, for example, be able to
compare two model runs on the same set of axes). However, this conflicts
with the idea of providing the layout for the graph panels in the model
(because you could have two models open, which could provide conflicting
information for how to lay out the same graph panels). We could work
around this by setting the layout when a model is first loaded, but not
changing it on subsequent model changes (otherwise, we would be
repeatedly destroying a user's changes to the layout as they switch back
and forwards between models).

> I?m still inclined to tab the whole RHS window (set of panes) - maybe
> as well as Tabs in individual panes? An example of where this would be
> useful is that when you have a combined electrophysiology and signal
> transduction model and want to display voltages, currents, etc v time
> in one window and the signal transduction pathways laid out in SVG in
> another window.
I think this wouldn't be too hard to implement, although the obvious way
to do it might hit some performance issues, as resizing would require a
significant number of redraws to take place.

> BTW, in the graphing window if you set time as x-variable then all
> other created traces for that pane should default to time (since it
> doesn?t make sense to display any other variable along a time axis).
I think this can be done fairly simply, but the default would have to
happen after the model has been selected (because it is possible that
you might plot time from one model against time from a different model,
and we cannot be certain as to which variable is time in the second
model, as the word 'time' doesn't have any special meaning in CellML).