[cellml-discussion] CellML Validation, Curation and Model Composition

  • From: j.lawson at auckland.ac.nz (James Lawson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] CellML Validation, Curation and Model Composition
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:58:43 +1200

> As for re-usability, again, in my view, implies that you have some
> CellML model that can be re-used :-) Following the ideas of my "best
> practices" this would be a model which contains just math with no
> parameter values or initial conditions embedded in it such that I can
> take that math and use it in the way I want without restriction.
> Practically, there is still use in being able to take models which do
> have parameters and initial conditions embedded in them and plugging
> them into another model.

The following is rather speculative - perhaps there is a way to do this
already that I'm unaware of. I'm just fishing for comments.

If you have a model which contains only math, and say you want to use it
as a component. It has no parameters, and you need to plug in a whole
plethora of initial conditions etc. Is there any way to avoid doing this
manually? If you had a file containing all these parameters and values
and the variables/components that they pertain to, it would be good to
be able to simply import these into the model automatically.

The most important use for this parameter importing feature could be in
experimentation with the models. If you had a set of parameters that you
wanted to change over a range (for example, ligand concentration in a
GPCR signalling system,) and take the results that the model outputs
(you might want to know cAMP production rates by adenylate cyclase, PKA
activation levels, desensitization rates, etc. etc.) you could run this
'experiment file,' and get the results output to CSV. It would probably
take an awfully long time to integrate the model several hundred times
if you wanted that many data points, but at present, you'd have to
manually change the values you wanted to change, integrate, export to
CSV, then do it over again.

James