[cellml-discussion] curation of BioModels Database

  • From: david.nickerson at nus.edu.sg (David Nickerson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] curation of BioModels Database
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:04:30 +0800

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for that explanation.

> We release the models publicly twice a year.

just wondering what you mean by this? is it that the public database is
only gets updated twice a year, while the model curators are working on
the (private) next release of the models?

Also, do you have any sense of curation (over and above the libSBML
consistency checks) for a model not based on a particular peer-reviewed
publication? For example, models that are designed simply as test-cases
for particular expected software behaviour - where the structure and
expected behaviour of the model are well known but not described in any
specific published article. From what I remember, MIRIAM uses published
articles as the reference description of a model in regard to MIRIAM
compliance, but could another source reference description be used in
model curation, albeit not in conjunction with MIRIAM compliance?

> finally that one can reproduce published results *using different
> software than the one used by the authors*.

I think this is very important requirement for model curation, but one
that is quite daunting for CellML models, especially CellML 1.1 based
models. One question I have is how different different tools need to be
to satisfy such curation? What I'm getting at is that there could
potentially be many "different" tools based on a common library (the
CellML API and code generation service, or libSBML for example), but to
me these wouldn't be different enough as the actual interpretation of
the model is essentially done by the common layer underneath whatever
extra bits the specific tool is adding in. Or is throwing the model
through a different numerical integrator, for example, enough to satisfy
this requirement?

Thanks,
David.