[cellml-discussion] how to units make a difference to simulation

  • From: alan.garny at dpag.ox.ac.uk (Alan Garny)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] how to units make a difference to simulation
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 02:35:45 +0100

Hi James,

As you know we (Catherine, you and I) spent a bit of time this morning
trying to understand some models. One of the models that Catherine has been
working on had problems with units. My understanding is that PCEnv didn't
pick those problems up, while COR did. Correcting the problems, Catherine
was able to get the model to "work" (I believe there might still be another
problem, but not related to units this time).

Anyway, the view we have now taken in Oxford is that models shouldn't have
any problem related to units. This means that, dimensional equivalences,
which are allowed in the CellML specification, are not "acceptable" to us.
We should always have strict equivalences. E.g. A = B+C (with A and B in mV,
while C in V) would be seen as being dimensionally equivalent and "OK" in
regards to the CellML specification (and therefore COR, since it will only
generate a warning). Yet, we would modify the equation so that it now reads:
A = B+1000{millivolt_per_millivolt}*C. This may not be a great example, but
I think you got the gist of it.

The idea is, therefore, to have models that have no unit issues *at all*. I
appreciate that this may seem a bit restrictive, but we have had so many
issues with units over the years that we believe it will be worth it in the
long term.

Alternatively, we could have the software doing units conversion for the
user... but that's another issue... and I understand that some are against
that idea.

Alan.