[cellml-discussion] CellML Versioning Strategy

  • From: alan.garny at dpag.ox.ac.uk (Alan Garny)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] CellML Versioning Strategy
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:32:22 +0100

> At the break-away session on the versioning strategy for CellML (which
> followed the Auckland CellML meeting today) we discussed the future of
> how we would version CellML, including whether we would put all elements
> for the next version of CellML in a completely different namespace, or
> only the elements that had changed.
>
> A summary of the discussion is up at
> http://www.cellml.org/meeting_minutes/MeetingMinutes19September2007/
> under "Breakaway session on versioning strategy for CellML". Note that
> the participants at the session have not had a chance to correct errors
> in it yet, and it may not yet accurately reflect everyone's view.
> However, it does lay out the options, and so may provide a starting
> point for any suggestions or comments from the community.
>
> Please send and such suggestions or comments to the CellML discussion
> mailing list prior to the 3rd October 2007.

That all seems reasonable to me, just one comment:

- At the moment, CellML doesn't explicitly support the rem element
(remainder function in MathML), even though CellML does allow its use (at
the risk of ending in a situation where a model may work fine in a given
CellML tool -- that supports the rem element --, but not in a nother -- that
doesn't support the rem element --). Now, say that we officially want CellML
to 'support' the rem element, how do we go about doing that?

Otherwise, Matt wrote:

> ... You might want to scan a document to see what
> "versions" the model conforms up to, but one of the nice things about
> pushing these new elements/attributes into new namespaces is that you
> can still treat a model as say 1.1 even if it contains 1.2 elements
> and attributes...

Treat that model in what way? Surely, if a model uses some 1.2 elements,
then there must be a reason to it. Therefore, a 1.2 model cannot be treated
as a 1.1 model, or did I miss something?

Alan.