[cellml-discussion] from Wired: "The end of theory: the data deluge makes the scientific method obsolete"

  • From: j.lawson at auckland.ac.nz (James Lawson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] from Wired: "The end of theory: the data deluge makes the scientific method obsolete"
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:27:43 +1200

Hi all,

Thought I'd see what you guys and girls think of this article, and its
relevance to CellML, systems biology etc.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-07/pb_theory

"This is a world where massive amounts of data and applied mathematics
replace every other tool that might be brought to bear. Out with every
theory of human behavior, from linguistics to sociology. Forget
taxonomy, ontology, and psychology. Who knows why people do what they
do? The point is they do it, and we can track and measure it with
unprecedented fidelity. With enough data, the numbers speak for themselves."

Some of my thoughts: when we have bioinformatics servers processing
similar amounts of information to the Google servers, then we'll need to
rethink how we do things. The question is, how long will that be? And is
information that encodes a model more useful than information that just
codes data, considering that the model can produce more information?

Kind regards,
James