[cellml-discussion] from Wired: "The end of theory: the data deluge makes the scientific method obsolete"

  • From: lenov at ebi.ac.uk (Nicolas Le novère)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] from Wired: "The end of theory: the data deluge makes the scientific method obsolete"
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 23:04:08 +0100

James,

During the 80s, it became clear that the best predicting tools in
life-science were based on algorithms using implicit rules, namely the
formal neural networks and hidden markov models (there are more now). You
feed them with as much data possible, and they get better and better. The
problem is that using a cascading neural network to predict protein
secondary structure does not tell-us anything about the folding of the
proteins. It is tremendously useful, but it did not stop structural
biologists to keep on looking for the rules governing protein folding, and
therefore life (for the readers unaware, protein folding is still the big
mystery of biochemistry. If the cell had to test all the possibilities to
choose for the most stable, it would take more than the age of the universe)

Regarding models, one could argue that the only valid model of any living
entity is at the quantum level. Only then can we claim not having hidden
some complexity below the carpet. Is such a model useful? Heuristic?
(does-it allow to ask more questions?) or is-it a mere description? And
that is absolutely not specific to life-science. Do-we need to design a
molecular dynamic model of water molecules to understand the influence of
the moon on the tidal waves? The good model is the model that can
discriminate between two explanations for a phenomenon, and tag one of them
as having a higher degree of verisimilitide. In our age of Systems Biology,
it is often a model of a processus of level n based on mechanisms of level
n-1.

That said, we already spit out similar amount of data than Google. After
the first month of existence, the 1000 genomes project has produced more
than the complete Genbank. It is anticipated that by the end of the year it
will produce the same each week. Although it will be tremendously useful
for human health (by providing a reference variability map) that does very
little to help-me understand that modulating the noise in a neural network
changes the frequency of firing. For that, a simple model of "integrate and
fire" neuron, simulated with a variable noise function is much better (and
this IS useful. From epilepsy to Parkinson, many disorder symptoms are
related to noise).

The article quote "All models are wrong, but some are useful." I absolutely
disagree on the first part, because it is absolute. Some models are better
than others to answer a particular question. That is all we need. Those
models can be simple or complex, small or big.