[cellml-discussion] little b - shared models built from reusable parts

  • From: lenov at ebi.ac.uk (Nicolas Le Novere)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] little b - shared models built from reusable parts
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:18:20 +0100 (BST)

The SBML community has know little b for a while since they first came to
us, a long time ago, saying roughly "we're much better than you, and we do
everything in a simpler way, understandable by users".

I think (and this is a personal opinion, that does NOT reflect the opinion
of the SBML editors as a whole) this is a worthwhile effort, but
completely different than SBML and CellML.

1) In general, the terser a language is, the more fuzzy but the harder to
interpret it is. If the SBML spec is so long and complicated, it is
because one of our goal is to ensure that everyone interpret an SBML
description exactly the same way. That bears a lot of consequences on
units etc. Terse is good. Unambiguous is better (if you want to exchange
and integrate)

2) I am not sure LISP is a good *description* language. And we need to
separate description of the model structure from description of the
simulation. SBML and CellML are not programming language.

Again this is a personal feeling. At the end I guess the only criteria is
the usefullness for the scientific community.