[cellml-discussion] Identifiers.org, the resolvable MIRIAM URIs

  • From: lenov at ebi.ac.uk (Nicolas Le Novère)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Identifiers.org, the resolvable MIRIAM URIs
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:11:37 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

As you know, since 2005 we have developed a system of shared identifiers,
the MIRIAM URNs, that allow people to annotate data-sets with unambiguous,
perennial and common identifiers, that could be resolved to different
sources of information. One of the issues people encountered was the lack
of direct dereferencing. Over the summer 2011, we developed
Identifiers.org, the dereferencable version of the MIRIAM URIs. Also based
on MIRIAM Registry, it combines the advantage of MIRIAM URNs (everyone uses
the same URI to describe the same data-set, multiple targets of
resolutions, maintenance of IDs by the data providers but the full URIs
centrally provided, no cost etc.) and the advantages of PURLs (persistent
URLs).

You can already play with it. Try:

* http://identifiers.org/

(Info on the whole project)

* http://identifiers.org/obo.go/

(the entry for GO in MIRIAM registry, used by identifiers.org)

* http://identifiers.org/obo.go/GO:0006915

The URI for this GO term. This is what you should store in your database
instead of just GO:0006915, and this is what should be distributed with
your dataset. That will provide your users with links to the GO term in all
the resources referenced in the registry.

* http://identifiers.org/obo.go/GO:0006915?resource=MIR:00100012

This configuration of the URI allow you to restrict the resolution of the
GO term to QuickGO. MIR:00100012 is the identifier of QuickGO in MIRIAM
registry. The corresponding URI is:
http://identifiers.org/miriam.resource/MIR:00100012

Finally, we are developing something that will be called
"MyIdentifiers.org". This will allow a project, for instance "demo", to
setup a whole range of choice in one go. Instead of specifying the resource
to use at the level of each separate identifier, you generate the URIs as:

http://identifiers.org/pubmed/16333295?project=demo

IMPORTANT: The URN form of MIRIAM URIs will remain valid! MIRIAM Registry
will still resolve them and all your code remains correct. We nevertheless
encourage you to use the new URIs in new developments. In order to
back-propagate the change, We will provide services to convert from the URN
form to the URL one.

Best regards,

Camille Laibe
Nicolas Le Novere