[cellml-discussion] [cellml-dev] Draft DAEs / events secondary specification for CellML 1.2

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] [cellml-dev] Draft DAEs / events secondary specification for CellML 1.2
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 21:27:55 +1200

On 12/09/11 20:30, Jonathan Cooper wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I haven't gone through the detail of Andrew's draft, but a general point
> occurred to me on reading the features list. Many tools would only
> support a subset of these features (the most common being just ODEs with
> no events). Does it make sense to require a secondary specification for
> each combination of features, or should secondary specifications allow
> for being combined to build up a desired feature set? In other words,
> should the example instead be 3 specs (ODEs, DAEs, events) that can be
> combined as a model author wishes?

Hi Jonathan,

I think the features potentially interact to some extent, so I don't
think they are entirely directly composable. However, it would certainly
be possible to build one secondary specification on top of one or more
other specifications with same manual work to sort out some semantics.

I think we certainly could produce an ODEs spec, and a DAEs spec (so
that software which suppports the DAEs spec would also support all
models coded to ODEs), and a DAEs + events spec that would support
models coded to the former two specs, as well as the infinitesimally
delayed / boolean variables features needed for events.

Best wishes,
Andrew