Re: [[cellml-discussion] ] CellML PDE support

  • From: David Nickerson <david.nickerson AT gmail.com>
  • To: cellml-discussion AT lists.cellml.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cellml-discussion] ] CellML PDE support
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:51:44 +1300

Hi,

> I would like to use CellML to describe the model for my process.
> What I want to do is to solve CellML models using CellML compiler.
> But, here is the problem, the model ( three dimensional heat transfer) is
> described by partial differential equations.
>
> Is CellML able to represent this kind of model? If yes, could you please
> give me an example showing how a file should look?

While CellML is able to encode PDE's using the MathML partialdiff
operator (http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/chapter4.html#contm.partialdiff),
there is currently no way to fully specify your model - i.e., you
can't describe the spatial boundary conditions. CellML is primarily
used for encoding lumped parameter type models consisting of ordinary
differential equations or differential algebra equations.

There are also no simulation tools I know of that will be able to run
simulations using models containing the partialdiff operator.

If you are using the CellMLCompilier tool
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/cellmlcompiler/,
http://www.scfbm.org/content/7/1/11), then I think they enable you to
use CellML models in 1- and 2-dimensional simulations via the use of
their TecML and RelML data in addition to the CellML model. I'm not
sure if they have yet implemented support for 3-dimensional models.

In work here in Auckland, we use CellML models in various ways within
the OpenCMISS (http://opencmiss.org) simulation code to describe the
lumped parameter aspects of our model definitions and then the spatial
aspects are handled by the finite element code. Cell models in
electrophysiology, boundary conditions for fluid flow, etc. You can
see some description of this in
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0079610711000629.

> I would really appreciate any hint or help.

hopefully that helps a bit, but please let us know if you have any
further questions.

Cheers,
David.