[[cellml-discussion] ] Request for submissions on the CellML API

  • From: Mike Cooling <mtcooling.research AT gmail.com>
  • To: cellml-discussion AT lists.cellml.org, cellml-tools-developers AT lists.cellml.org
  • Subject: [[cellml-discussion] ] Request for submissions on the CellML API
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 17:04:22 +1200

Hi

As mentioned at the CellML workshop, we are planning the next steps for the
CellML API. Ultimately, we want to determine what the CellML should be,
look at what is now, and determine how best to get from the latter to the
former.

We hope to gather ideas from you, the community, on what you think the
CellML API should be.

We're going to begin by gathering ideas into a document. The main focus is
on high level functional requirements ("statements of services that the
system should provide") rather than detailed design considerations -
looking at the 'what' rather than 'how'. But, we will also preserve any
'how' comments that come up, in a separate section towards the end of the
document.

The purpose here is to collect ideas, so some of the document contents may
contradict other parts, and you may find that your disagree with some of
it. It is not necessarily the case that everything will end up part of the
CellML API, or indeed any API. Please think of this as brainstorming; the
ideas can be evaluated afterwards.

You can find this document at

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qMpltGGk19RgFAgkgnG8xZVKyI0Q-ZatcxV7VB_ccKc/edit?usp=sharing

If you are a user or potential user of the CellML API, we welcome your
submission for this document. Since the document is essentially public, I
am not making it editable. Instead, please email me your submission and I
will do my best to faithfully incorporate your thoughts into the document.

The initial content of this document has been synthesised from the existing
API documentation, similar documents by others, and conversations at, and
following, the recent CellML workshop. I hope to add your thoughts to it
over the next ~3 weeks, and will update the document periodically until the
end of May.

Best Regards,

Mike Cooling
on behalf of the CellML Editorial Board