Re: [cellml-discussion] What does CellML stand for?

  • From: Robert Muetzelfeldt <r.muetzelfeldt AT ed.ac.uk>
  • To: cellml-discussion AT cellml.org
  • Subject: Re: [cellml-discussion] What does CellML stand for?
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 19:15:11 +0100

Try googling on
what does cellml stand for

https://lists.cellml.org/sympa/arc/cellml-discussion/2007-07/msg00005.html
/Andrew Miller wrote:/
/> Hi,/
/>/
/> I have noticed that a lot of people who refer to CellML (generally/
/> people who don't use CellML, but reference it) feel obliged to expand/
/> the abbreviation, and they generally expand it as "Cell Markup
Language"./
/>/
/> As far as I am aware, we have never actually said that CellML stands for/
/> Cell Markup Language, and indeed, that expansion doesn't really make/
/> sense, because CellML does not aim to mark up cells at all, and it is in/
/> some sense independent of biology at a technical level. However, unless/
/> we can agree as a community that CellML doesn't stand for "Cell Markup/
/> Language", there is a risk that people will keep calling it that, which/
/> could result in a misunderstanding of what CellML is./
/>/
/> I suggest that we put the following note up as an errata to the CellML/
/> specifications (please indicate whether you agree with the intention of/
/> this, and whether you agree with the specific wording):/
/>/
/> "CellML is not intended to be an abbreviation, but rather, *it is
simply***/*
**>*/*> a name used to identify the language*. The fact that CellML starts with/
/> the word 'Cell' is a result of its original intended use. However,/
/> CellML is actually a generic mathematical modelling language which can/
/> be applied in a range of disciplines. It is worth noting that CellML/
/> does not stand for 'Cell Markup Language'. Instead, when introducing/
/> CellML to an audience who may be unfamiliar with it, a short explanation/
/> of CellML is recommended. For example, 'CellML (a mathematical model/
/> markup language most commonly used to describe biological systems using/
/> ordinary differential equations)' "./
/>/
/> Best regards,/
/> Andrew/

Robert