[cellml-dev] r1826 - in pce/trunk/chrome: content/controls content/util skin

  • From: alan.garny at dpag.ox.ac.uk (Alan Garny)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] r1826 - in pce/trunk/chrome: content/controls content/util skin
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:13:01 +0100

Hi Justin,

> You are definitely both correct about the icons. How much space on the
> toolbar are we willing to use for this particular piece of
> functionality? It may be simpler to use a purely textual
> representation; ie a button 'linear/linear graph', with a drop
> down menu with all of the options that we want to use iterated out
> (ie 'log/linear graph', 'log/log graph' etc).

Are you talking about a 'text' icon? If so, I am completely against it. That
would take too much space.

> Alternatively, for a less space consuming option a drop down
> menu of icons (or a dropdown menu where the top level element
> is the icon of the current view state, with both an icon and a textual
> caption on each of the menu elements) is a midway point between
> explicitness of function and verbosity of form.

That's more like what I have in mind. More precisely, I would have a button
with an icon that illustrates that we are talking about axes and then a
dropdown menu associated to it (which you can access by clicking on the
button). From there, you would have two menu items: one for each axis. For
each of these menu items, you would have sub menu items for 'linear', 'log'
and 'percentage' (and anything we would want). These sub menu items could be
'checked' or not (so as to allow Andrew's suggestion). I.e.:

+ (Button)

+--- X Axis
| |
| +--- Linear
| |
| +--- Log
| |
| +--- Percentage

+--- Y Axis

+--- Linear

+--- Log

+--- Percentage

I appreciate that this involves two levels of sub menu items, so
alternatively, we could have only one level by prefixing 'linear', 'log' and
'percentage'. I.e.:

+ (Button)

+--- X Axis Linear

+--- X Axis Log