[cellml-dev] Code style suggestion

  • From: alan.garny at dpag.ox.ac.uk (Alan Garny)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] Code style suggestion
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:44:53 -0000

> I would like to suggest that we change our current code style
> standard. I think that abbreviations should be avoided for identifier
> names. Abbreviations remained popular because they saved some typing,
> but modern IDE's have autocompletion and similar features.
>
> Not sure if Emacs supports autocompletion or not. I know this will be
> harder if Emacs does not support autocompletion, but I don't think we
> should compromise our coding style for the sake of a particular editor.

I am all in favour of that, since that would make the code easier to read
and therefore to maintain.

This, however, makes me wonder what editor you guys actually use for
developing PCEnv. So far, the little I have done was done using Kate under
Linux, which is very basic. In fact, I have yet to come up with a
programming environment for PCEnv that I am happy with (I know, I should get
away from what I have been used to for the past 10+ years, but then again
one would expect things to have moved in the right direction in all that
time, yet... :)).

Alan.