[cellml-dev] The log-axis feature - this release or next?

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] The log-axis feature - this release or next?
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 11:25:52 +1300

Hi all,

I think we need to decide if we should hold the feature which plots logs
the axes or if we should try to get it in for the upcoming release of
PCEnv 0.3. I think that it may end up delaying the upcoming release if
we want to include it.

Open issues with it:
1) the current semantics are not necessarily ideal - it assumes that
you are plotting a variable which has already been logged, but instead
plots ticks on the X axis. It would be better if we could modify
DataToCanvasRequest to take the log (although this might be too big a
change to make at this stage in the release process).
2) the new code seems to get the clipping rectangle wrong in some
cases (this may have been an older issue from the percentage
normalisation feature).

This is not a regression from the previous release because it has only
just been added recently and has never been working. I think that
perhaps we could put the log code on a branch (or even leave the code in
but disable the user interface for it until after the release), and try
to get the code into a working state which doesn't need the log feature.
After the release we can commence work on it again. As long as we don't
take too long to get the release out and we restart work on it after
branching, we shouldn't have to lose all the work Justin has put into it
and we will have lots of time to get everything working well before 0.4.

Opinions?