[cellml-dev] PCEnv system dependencies

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] PCEnv system dependencies
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:24:00 +1300

Hi all,

An important issue with the snapshots in PCEnv came up yesterday - the
Linux snapshots built on Justin's Ubuntu Feisty system turned out not to
run on my Ubuntu 6.06 LTS system because compiling them there created a
dependency on a newer version of glibc.

To get around this, I have added in a script to build_control which
sets up the environment to use the gcc wrappers from autopackage
(http://www.autopackage.org/). This should allow builds to work with
much older versions of glibc.

For the upcoming release, gcc has not been rebuilt from the previous cut
down build I made for the last release, so there will still be a
dependency on glibc 2.2.3 for running simulations (tracker item 246
covers this, it is something we need to look into for the next release).
glibc 2.2.3 came out on the 27th of April, 2001, so I would think that
most Linux users would probably be on that version or something more
recent. With autopackage we can go back to the 4th of February 1997,
although we will run into other dependency issues on older systems
anyway, such as gtk2, which didn't come out until 2002 and is essential
for Mozilla.

  • [cellml-dev] PCEnv system dependencies, Andrew Miller, 11/15/2007