[cellml-dev] E-mail address on release page

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] E-mail address on release page
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:30:17 +1300

Randall Britten wrote:

> Hi
>
> Currently, Justin?s e-mail address is the one used on the release
> centre web page. I suggest we change it to the address of this list,
> and allow non-members to post to this list.

Hi Randall,

Allowing non-members to post to a mailing list which is published on the
Internet generally results in a large amount of spam being sent to a
list - often you will get more noise than signal on low volume lists
like this one (which is annoying for members and makes the archives hard
to use).

We could moderate the list for non-member posts (based on experience
from when a previous CellML list was public, this is probably two or
three hours of work a week for someone to do because of the mailman
interface... hence why we current reject non-member posts on all lists),
but it would probably be less work to simply get the release manager to
put all bug reports received by e-mail up on the tracker.

Another option would be to have people send to the list through a
web-page with a CAPTCHA on it, or simply force them to subscribe, send,
and unsubscribe (lots of mailing lists make people do this anyway).

Best wishes,
Andrew