[cellml-dev] [cellml-discussion] Announcement of PCEnv 0.6rc1 (release candidate for PCEnv 0.6)

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] [cellml-discussion] Announcement of PCEnv 0.6rc1 (release candidate for PCEnv 0.6)
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:23:20 +1300

Alan Garny wrote:
> Sorry, but in-house testing is not the same as testing by the community,
> even though I appreciate that some in-house testers may also be 'proper'
> end-users. Anyway...

Hi Alan,

We could consider changing the period between release candidates and
testing, but we have several things to balance up:
* We want to maintain our fairly lightweight release process and get
things out to users fast.
* We don't want release candidates to become de facto releases (which
is what will happen if we wait too long before going to release).
* We don't want to go through too many release candidates because of
the amount of time it takes to formally release them... hence the policy
that only catastrophic problems will result in a new release candidate.

Perhaps this would be easier to discuss if you suggested how long you
thought the timeframe should be... my concerns about lengthening the
timeframe would apply to a much lesser degree if you mean that we should
lengthen the timeframe to, say, 10 days, compared to if you are
suggesting that we stay in release candidate phase for months.

A few points to note:
* Not every user has to test the release candidate - only one or two
do. If some are busy in that period, that is fine, because there will be
more potential users to test it.
* Non-catastrophic problems can be fixed in the next release - we aim
to make a release every 6 months so it isn't that long to wait. Really
keen users can work from snapshots and help us identify problems early -
before the release candidates are prepared.
* Historically, we have not had any very serious problems come up
after the release candidates were released, which suggests that the
current timeframe is working at present. We would therefore want to have
good evidence / reasons to believe that things would improve before
changing this.

Best wishes,
Andrew

> Alan

>>> for PCEnv to find out whether it's working as expected. That would,